I’m working on a law exercise and need support to help me learn.
- A client of ours, Chris Sheffield, was sued for wrongful death and has been charged with involuntary manslaughter. We are representing him in both cases. Part of the case involved us requesting certain public records from the recorder’s office. We were provided with a copy of a deposition conducted previously with a recorder’s office employee, Lawrence Patterson, which we might want to use in his defense. A copy of the has been provided for you:
- You will need to read through the deposition transcript and prepare a summary. You should first read through the entire deposition. Then, you should read through it and make notes on the various topics, summarizing them for your attorney. Your summary should contain the 5 Ws (who, what, where, when, why). Finally, you should also include a topical index. The Index might look something like this:
- Page/Line – Topic – Testimony
- 25/4 – Work history – witness has been a doctor 10+ years
- 27/1 – Past Depositions – witness has never been deposed