Narrative or Dramatism or Pentadic or Framing
The paper has to be 10 pages. It is not the full paper but 3 quarters through. I just want you to do the 10 pages. The assignment is to choose a campaign or a speech and to analyze it in terms of rhetorical theories such as Narrative or Dramatism or Pentadic or Framing. For me, I want you to work on the Marlboro campaign, talking about the history of the campaign, how it started, along with the marlboro man and all of that.
The first 5 pages of the essay should have the following:
1) Identify the main elements and components of the text (the campaign)
– Is it print or electronic? If you are focusing on a few ads, which ones? and why you chose them?
– Marlboro man symbolizing personal freedom.
2) Situate the text within historical context (time and place)
– It is all over the world, anti-smoking movement is growing.
– It was a new advertising strategy
3) Explain the rhetorical situation that informs the text
– Selling product +image of the smoker. Talk about the social context. It is a personal choice; rugged individualism.
– Keeps the existing smoking clientele.
4) Enumerate the effects of the text
– Talk about the ad on the tobacco market
5) Explain the responses to the text
– How did smokers/anti-smoking activists react? What are some of the responses to the ads?
6) Summarize the existing literature about the text
– 10 sources commentary about the campaign
The next 2 pages should look at it from a critical stance.
1) What interests you about this campaign?
2) What specific issues or questions will you address in the rest of the paper?