HOW CAN EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE APPROACHES BE USED TO IMPROVE HEALTH CARE OUTCOMES?
Based on your review of the data, you have identified 3 key areas of concern that you would like to address as part of the quality improvement initiative. If not addressed, these areas of concern may affect the organizations accreditation and/or profitability:
- Patients are having to wait for extended periods of time in the emergency room (ER).
- AKT is not implementing effective capacity management strategies for the resources that are currently available.
- There are a high number of readmissions due to patients being discharged too early.
You decide to work with staff and management to develop and implement new policies that are grounded in evidence-based practice (EBP). To communicate the new policies with the staff, you will write a 2-page memo addressing the areas of concern and the new EBP policies that now be in place. In the memo, address the following:
- Discuss the 3 areas of concern and how these can affect accreditation and/or financial status of the organization.
- What is evidence-based practice?
- How can evidence-based practice approaches be used to improve health care outcomes?
- A set of new policies and procedures that includes 2-3 strategies based on EBP approaches for each area of concern that will be effective immediately
- The memo should cite specific examples from the research reviewed regarding EBP approaches to resolving the issues.